Its 4 am and I'm up waiting to give Jackson a quick bottle before he has to fast for his Upper GI test at 8:15 this morning. Elli had this same test done and it is fairly miserable for all parties involved. They have to skip their morning feeding, drink a barium bottle, and then get in a crazy x-ray contraption to check for reflux. The doctors watch as the barium goes through Jackson's system and then they can see if he spits it up or not - showing them what is happening when he is eating. At this point, Jackson is still fairly uncomfortable. We did get his diaper rash cleared up (BIG YAY!) but he still pretty much screams as soon as he is done eating and we can't figure out why.
Reluctantly we tried formula for an entire weekend. Enfamil AR did seem to help and make him happier after he ate and he certainly wasn't spitting up as much. However, it clogged up his poor system and then he started crying because he couldn't go to the bathroom.
I took him back to the doctor and we decided to go back to nursing and add in probiotic drops. The pediatrician checked his stool to see if he was possibly "allergic" to milk proteins in my milk and it doesn't seem to be the case. So we are going to try nursing for a few days. I'm glad to go back to nursing - I do not want to give that up unless I absolutely have to. The Upper GI test should show us 1) if he is refluxing 2) if his reflux is so severe that the breast milk is too thin for his digestion and 3) if he needs to be switched to formula.
The doctors think this is something that he may just grow out of so it is all a waiting game at this point. I just want him to be happy. I think we are getting closer and closer to that, but we are certainly not there yet.
No comments:
Post a Comment